I am back in Waterloo now, already trying to figure out ways to escape back to New York. I will continue with my update of what we have done and seen. Tomorrow I'll offer some antedotes about the more interesting things that happened to us.
After leaving the library we went to Tiffany's and looked at the $1.3 million engagement rings, went to a giant Toys R Us (since we missed out on FAO Schawrtz), and we also explored a large Disney store where there was no difficulty in finding Nemo. After all this, the rain and our feet had gotten the better of us and we decided to head home to clean up and prepare for dinner.
Our dinner advenutre took us to Brooklyn for some Thai food, I wish I could explain the atmosphere of the bars and restaurants such as this one. It is to an extent what you see in movies with great stylish decors. After dinner, we headed to a bar hiding out in the basement of the W, and because of our great host we managed to get one of the VIP rooms, which is basically a little nook in the wall with a silk screen covering the entrance. There we ordered $12 martini's to get the night started. After this pricey drink we jetted back to the apartment to do some cheap pre-drinking. Then we hit some more bars, avoiding anything with a cover (which was tricky) but hey we were hoping from place to place and couldn't justify covers for 1 drink. Luckily, Ali and Janet decided they would come with me to a gay bar around the corner. It was a nice little place but not too busy. So after a few drinks there we headed home.
Sunday morning, the girls were all sleeping in so I decided to go exploring on my own. I ventured down to Soho and checked out some of the work of the local artists and the old-school brick roads. Meeting up with the ladies around noon, we headed up to Central Park. Now, this also happened to be the same day as the Puerto Rican parade! If you have seen Seinfeld then you should have an idea of what this would be like. Our subway was packed with the people decked out in red,white, and blue like you would not believe. It was a fluke that Areligh and I were also wearing these colors and blended in (except for our untanned whitey skin). For anyone who has expeirenced Pride, I would compare Puerto Rican fesitvities as Pride on crack. Jen, Arleigh and I went and explored Central Park while Ali and Janet went to the actual parade. (If you're wondering where Ram and Meera are, keep in mind they only went out with us at night as these were there last few days together for awhile) Anyway, after we all barely survived our days adventures, we met at Olive Garden for a goodbye dinner. Then off went Meera, Ali, and Janet to Kuwait (their stopover on their way to India) This left Jen, Arliegh and I going up the Empire State Building. We were herded like sheep here and couldn't believe the way that show was run. We ventured around for a bit to look for email access but failed. Then we went to Starbucks for final night closure. But the night was not over me.
The girls wanted to head home at like 11pm. This was not engough New York for me so I ventured out on my own, now that I was feeling pretty confident in the city (I was giving out directions earlier!) I went back up to Times Square to see what it was like at in the night, totally different and so much cooler. Then I went to Ed Sullivan theatre, which was pretty boring. I got caught up in a big swarm of people in tuxes and fancy dresses, only to find out I was in the midst of everyone just getting out of the Tony's. Crazy. My final explorations of the night led me into Chelsea and a gay bar I had heard raves about. I walked by it but considering I was by myself, I opted not to go in. I wish I had now, if even just to look around real quick. Then it was home and bed for this kid.
Today nothing to report except we made it home safe and sound. Now for a quick recap on the modes of transporation used over this weeked: planes, trains, automobiles (cab and private car), shuttle bus, subway, and a monorail. By the end of the weekend I was totally impressed with our subway skills. The subway system in NYC is very good and can get you alot of places for a decent price. Now it's time for a much needed nap.

<< Home