Thursday, October 02, 2003

Voting attempt #2: Biked over to Keats Way where I ran into Jessica, who was waiting to take the FEDS bus back to campus. Yes, the FEDS hired a full school bus to drive students to the various polling stations from the SLC. Jessica informed there have only been like 2 trips so far, and when the bus pulled up to get her, we could only see one other person on the bus. Kudos to Chris Edey and/or Liam for organzing such an effort to get students to vote.
Jessica and I discussed politics very briefly. I then proceeded to go inside and vote BUT again I was at the wrong polling station. At least this time the polling officer told me the correct location, Beacon Towers - ultimately 2 seconds away from my house.
Voting attempt #3: Although I did cast my ballot, I will still refer to this as an attempt because I ended up changing my vote at the last second! ARGH! Again it is shown that I fold quicker than a folding chair. After talking with Jess and then seeing the people who were voting around me, I ultimately cast my ballot for someone I only mildly support.
Two observations related to voting today: a) all the people voting at my poll were senior citizens. Either this means that we live entirely around old people or that older people are the only ones to vote, then again maybe all the younger people will vote this evening. and b) why the need for so many polling stations so close together? They really don't need that many. My only thought is that it's the governemt's way of getting a more accurate idea of who is supported in each specific neighbourhood. Maybe someone more educated can fill me in.