Monday, November 10, 2003

I went to my first (and last) student council meeting yesterday. It was the big decision about what to do with the space that is Ground Zero. Before attending, I was very pro-Symposium. I thought it was important the FEDS retain that space so they can have the freedom to use it needed. I also thought it would be more fun working at Symposium and it would have a nicer atmosphere for people to hang out in. Because of my beliefs, I was also requested to make a speech on behalf of Ground Zero at the meeting.
However, after I did my own research and listened to both presentations, I realized that Tim Hortons would probably be the smarter choice. It would be no risk to the FEDS and would provide a cool hang out spot (they had some design photos which looked amazing). So because of my change of heart I remained silent. Even when they specifically asked us employees what we thought, I passed my turn. I didn't want to be pro-Tim Hortons and break from my coworkers. I definitely let some people down and I kind of regret that now but I am moving on.
The council meeting itself was very interesting, just seeing how student government at the university level works. It almost makes me wish I was more involved earlier or something. ALMOST. Half the time was arguing about how they were going to do things, rather than just doing them. Free food, provided by Symposium, was the highlight.