Thursday, October 14, 2004

“How depressing.” That is what a student said as she walked by my room, where Nathalie, Michael and I sat watching Sex and the City. I really wanted to get up and go thank her for a) reminding me that I currently don’t lead an exciting life, considering I really only have 3 friends here and that number isn’t likely to grow and b) being so respectful.
It really was the icing on the cake last night after we (the SLCs) had held a meeting with the “party” corridor that did not go so well and now we’re feeling some major tension between them and us. It all stems from the fact that the students view us as having no authority. The main reason for that is we had no authority for the first month, our boss told us to be lax about noise after quiet hours and let the night security deal with it. But now, we’re being asked to take a more active role in the noise situation and it feels like we’re fighting a losing battle. It certainly is easier to start off hard and then go easy than to start off easy and go hard later.
Last night was a bad night.