I hate having to come out in a workplace setting. Actually, I hate having to come out period. Some people may think I am shameful of my sexuality because of this but so be it. I don't hide my sexuality, nor do I flaunt it. I have a pride flag in my room and a framed picture of Johnny on my bedside table.
So far, one student has asked me flat out if I was gay (I answered truthfully) and one student used the pronoun "he" after I refered to my partner - it was kind of obvious as she asked who I was shopping for in a men's clothing store and I answered "my partner." And I am sure other students are aware of it by now.
We had a meeting the other day with someone from Queen's who informed us there is usually a high percentage of gay male students who do the castle program, however they don't come out until they are back at Queens. It totally makes sense for various reasons (age, isolation factor here). So it's been making me question if I should take a more vocal role to set a good example for questioning students, but then I think that I'm setting a good example anyway - my personality type is not the kind that would throw it in peoples faces. I just want to try and be a good gay role model.
These are my random musings for today. If I cared more about making an actual point I would have worked on this for a bit longer but I just needed to get the above out.

<< Home