Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Here's an old story I wrote when I was nine years-old. Johnny discovered it during our last trip to Uxbridge.

The Dog Who Didn't Know How to Surf
Once in a dark and cold DOGPOUND was a cuddly, white, two week old puppy lying on an old beat up blanket that looked as though it was in a fight with Hulk Hogan. The little puppy's mother had died one week after she gave birth because she had heart worm disease. The puppy's mother was a huskie and his father was a black lab, so he turned out to be a white lab. White labs are very rare. Since the dog was a very rare breed he costs $11.00. One day a boy came in, the boy looked at a little black dog with a red bow around her neck, the bow had killed the dog half an hour ago, because it was too tight, but the boy didn't know that. Then the boy walked over to the puppy and said "That's the puppy I want, but I only have $7.00. Maybe I can work to earn $4.00." His first job was to cut his father's lawn for $1.50. Then he cleaned out cages at the dogpound for $2.00. Then he helped his mother carry in her apples and bananas for $0.50. He had now earned $4.00. The boy's name was Jon. Jon rushed back to the dogpound. On his way there, he realized he had forgotten to ask his mother and father's permission. He ran all the way back. He was careful not to step on a crack so he would not break his mother's back and then of course, he wouldn't get the puppy. When he got home, his mother said "If you get the dog you have to take him to the beach Saturday." So of course Jon said "I promise." Then he ran as fast as he could to the pound. He found $5.00 on the way. (By now you probably wonder how Jon gets there. He just lives 2 streets away.) So when he got back, he bought the puppy and with his $5.00 he bought a $2.00 leash.
To be continued....in "The Dog at the Beach"

Unfortunately we couldn't find the 2nd part or the 3rd part (in which the dog did indeed learn how to surf).